Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Visit Apply Give

FAQs for Current Students

Image Picker for Section 0

Most questions are answered in our Graduate Handbook, available online. This is an important resource: please read it carefully! 

Who is my academic advisor?

You should have received from our administrative assistant for graduate studies a message providing your advisor’s name. If you are unsure, you should be able to see his/her name when you log in to UDSIS. Normally, the first faculty name you see is that of the Director of Graduate Studies, and the second is that of your official academic advisor, who will be a faculty member in your area of specialization. MALLCP students will see a third name, that of their pedagogy advisor.

With so many advisors, how do I know which one to see when I have a concern?

Your course choices need to be approved by your primary advisor(s) (MALLCP candidates have a second primary advisor, a specialist in pedagogy). It is a good idea to make an appointment with your primary advisor(s) at least once a semester to discuss any concerns and your plan for future semesters. Questions about your pedagogy coursework or your professional goals as a teacher should be addressed to your pedagogy advisor. If your concern is related to a course you are taking, it is best to speak first with the professor teaching that course. If you are a candidate for teaching certification, or you wish to switch to the certification track, you must confer early on with the DLLC Education coordinator. If your concern is related to your work as a TA, please see the instructor who is coordinating the course you are teaching. If you are still at that point unable to obtain the answers you need, speak with the 100-level sequence supervisor. The Director of Graduate Studies should be consulted if you are not able to obtain the answers you need from your advisor(s) and/or your course coordinator.

I am currently an MALLC student, and now realize that I would like to switch to the MALLCP track (or vice versa). What is the proper procedure to follow?

The first step is to consult with your advisor(s). If they approve your decision, you must formally petition the Director of Graduate Studies to make this change (depending on your previous course choices, it may not be possible after the first year, but check with your advisor). If the Graduate Studies Committee approves your petition, you must see the administrative assistant in charge of graduate studies to file a Change of Status form.

Am I permitted to take courses outside of the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures?

You are permitted to take (for credit or as an auditor) extra-departmental graduate-level courses in fields related to your area of studies (e.g. Linguistics, Education, Women and Gender Studies). However, all course choices (both within and outside the department) must be approved by your advisor(s). The course instructor’s permission may also be required.

I would like to audit an undergraduate course. What procedure should I follow?

The Graduate Handbook states that “Funded graduate students are expected to enroll only in graduate-level courses that count towards the MALLC or MALLCP degree program that they are pursuing in the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures. If a graduate student wishes to take a course unrelated to his/her field or take a course at the undergraduate level, either for credit or as a listener, s/he must have the written approval of the DLLC’s Director of Graduate Studies or the DLLC Department Chairperson before enrolling.”

The first step is to consult with your advisor (or advisors, if you have two) and explain why you wish to take the course (whether you plan to take it for credit or as an auditor). Your advisor(s) must give his/her/their approval. Once you have obtained this approval, you should request permission from the Director of Graduate Studies of the Department before enrolling.

I would like to present a paper at a conference. How do I find out about conferences in my field?

As we hear about conferences that are likely to be of interest to our MA students, we share these calls for papers with all students. You should also speak with your advisor, or the specialist in the area that interests you.

Is funding available for graduate students to travel to conferences?

Yes, on a competitive basis. You will need to secure advisor support for your participation, and to prepare a budget. Application and Guidelines

Please note that while the support of the Department Chair is required (in the form of matching funds), these grants are administered by the Graduate Office.

How about funding for summer projects (research for a Master’s thesis, or study abroad)?

At present, the Department does not have funds to cover such requests. However, students are encouraged to work with Morris library reference specialists to identify grant and scholarship opportunities. The Grant Forward Database may prove useful. 

I am a teaching assistant (or graduate assistant) in the department. Am I allowed to work part-time in addition to this assignment?

International students are prohibited by visa regulations from taking on any employment at all outside of their work as a teaching assistant during the fall and spring semesters. This includes informal tutoring, unless it is done on a volunteer basis (no payment for services). International students may, however, work in the US up to forty hours a week during the winter and summer sessions, provided that their work is related to their program of study. If this job is on-campus, there is no special paperwork to complete; if, however, the student wishes to work off-campus, s/he must inform the Office for International Students and fill out forms to apply for a CPT (Curricular Practical Training).

Domestic students serving as teaching or graduate assistants must petition the Director of Graduate Studies and the Department Chair for permission to work part-time, and the Dean is the one who makes the final decision. Such part-time work cannot exceed five hours a week and must not interfere with the student’s academic and teaching responsibilities.

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
FAQs for Current Students
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
FAQs for Current Students
  • Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures
  • Jastak-Burgess Hall
  • University of Delaware
  • 30 East Main St.
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-2591