Jorge Cubillos, Professor of Spanish and Applied Linguistics
Professor of Spanish and Applied Linguistics
University of Delaware
227 Jastak-Burgess Hall
Newark, DE 19716
Jorge H. Cubillos is a native of Colombia and a Ph.D. graduate in Spanish Applied Linguistics from The Pennsylvania State University. At the present time he is a Professor of Spanish and Applied Linguistics at the University of Delaware where he supervises Elementary and Intermediate Spanish instruction. Dr. Cubillos teaches graduate courses in Foreign Language Pedagogy and is in charge of the training of Teaching Assistants. He is the author of several materials for the teaching and learning of Spanish, among them “Siempre adelante” (textbook and CD-ROM reading assistant for Intermediate Spanish) and “Temas” (textbook, workbook and CD-ROM for Beginning Spanish). His research work has been centered in the areas of technology, study abroad, and student assessment.
Ph.D., Spanish Applied Linguistics, The Pennsylvania State University
Certifications: ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Tester
- Textbooks and Ancillary Materials:
- Cubillos, J. et al. (2015). Encuentros. Spanish for Advanced Beginners. New York: Pearson.
- Cubillos, J. (2015). Charlemos. Conversaciones prácticas. New York: Pearson.
- Cubillos, J. and Lamboy, E. (2006). Temas. Spanish for the Global Community (Second Edition). Boston: Thomson-Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. and Lamboy, E. (2006). Temas Workbook and Lab Manual (Second Edition). Boston: Thomson-Heinle Publishers.
- Pérez, J., and Cubillos, J. (2004). Spain in Perspective: An introduction to its history, art, and culture. Granada, España: Editorial Universidad de Granada.
- Cubillos, J. (2000). Temas. Spanish for the Global Community. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. (2000). Siempre Adelante (Second Edition). Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J., and Johnson, C. (2000). Siempre Adelante. Testing Program. (Second Edition). Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. (1996). Siempre Adelante (First Edition). Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J., and Johnson, C. (1996). Siempre Adelante. Testing Program. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. (1993). Visión y Voz. Testing Program.. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Multimedia CD-ROMS
- Cubillos, J. (1997). Siempre adelante. Compañero de lectura. Interactive multimedia reading assistant. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. (1997). Mundos Hispanos, Level 2. Interactive multimedia program on CD-ROM for intermediate Spanish. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Articles & Book Chapters
- Cubillos, J. (2014). “Spanish textbooks in the US: enduring traditions and emerging trends.” Journal of Spanish Language Teaching, Volume 1, Number 2, pp. 205-225.
- Martín Peris, E., & Cubillos, J. (2014). “Publishing.” In Manel Lacorte (Ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Hispanic Applied Linguistics. New York: Routledge, pp. 388-405.
- Cubillos, J. (2013). "Community Engagement and Proficiency Gains in Short Term Study Abroad Programs." NECTFL Review, Number 71, pp. 17-36.
- Cubillos, J. & Ilvento, T. (2012). “The Impact of Study Abroad on Students’ Self-Efficacy Perceptions.” Foreign Language Annals, Volume 45, Number 4, Winter 2012, p.494-511.
- Cubillos, J. (2010). “Computer-mediated Oral Proficiency Assessments: Validity, Reliability, and Washback.” The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, Volume 6, Issue 6, pp.85-102.
- Cubillos, J., Chieffo, L, Fan, C. (2008). “The Impact of Short-Term Study Abroad Programs on L2 Listening Comprehension Skills.” Foreign Language Annals, Volume 41, Number 1, Spring 2008, pp.157-186.
- Cubillos, J. (2007). “A comparative study of hybrid versus traditional instruction in foreign languages.” NECTFL Review, Number 60, pp. 20-38.
- Cubillos, J., and Robbins, D. (2004). “Transcending Boundaries: The Benefits of Short-Term Study Abroad Experiences for Foreign Language Teachers”. NECTFL Review, Number 54, pp. 24-34.
- Cubillos, J. (2001). “The emerging Foreign Language Teaching/Learning Paradigm”. NECTFL Review, Number 49, pp. 35-40.
- Cubillos, J. (2000). “Integrating technology into the foreign language curriculum.” In J. Bragger & D. Rice Branches. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Cubillos, J. (1998). “Technology: A step forward in the teaching of foreign languages?” In M. Lively, J. Harper & M. Williams (Eds.)The Coming of Age of the Profession; Issues and Emerging Ideas for the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers.
- Carbon Gorell, L., and Cubillos, J. (1993). “TA programs: The fit between foreign language teacher preparation and institutional needs”. In David P. Benseler (Ed.) The Dynamics of Language Program Direction. Boston: Heinle & Heinle Publishers, pp 91-109.
Encuentros: Spanish for Advanced Beginners
This book was designed by a UD team of professors, instructors and teaching assistants, specifically for the third semester of the basic Spanish sequence (SPAN107). The goal of this book is to help students reach the Intermediate-Low level of proficiency as defined by ACTFL (the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages). Culminating tasks in Encuentros (such as videos, personal websites, blogs, etc.) follow a process approach (one that is implemented in stages, with multiple opportunities for feedback and improvement). These real-life tasks provide an innovative multimedia platform for students to document their progress throughout the course. This textbook also has an online supplement powered by Pearson’s MySpanishLab which allows students to take advantage of state-of-the-art language learning resources.
Charlemos: Conversaciones prácticas
This present technology-rich, content-oriented Spanish conversation program has been designed to help students reach the Intermediate-High level of oral proficiency as defined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Appropriate for one semester courses taught at most colleges and universities, Charlemos: Conversaciones diarias consolidates Intermediate-level communication skills and introduces students to the features of the Advanced level through input processing and abundant contextualized speaking practice. The program makes extensive use of multi-media and web technologies to deliver a dynamic and up-to-date learning experience that fosters language acquisition and oral skill development.
Highly engaging, authentic video segments are offered as linguistic input to develop comprehension and grammatical skills. Online tutorials and an award winning multi-media platform are deployed to facilitate contextualized practice and skill-application beyond the classroom. The Versant Spanish Test is just one of the unique capstone experiences that enables learners to obtain an objective proficiency rating of their speaking skills at the end of the course.
TEMAS, Second Edition is the pioneering text which provides opportunities for students to effect change in the world beyond the confines of their classrooms through the use of their emerging linguistic skills in real life challenges. The pedagogical foundations as well as its thematic orientation are maintained in the second edition, while authentic language use through interactive real-world tasks remains at the core of the program. TEMAS is committed to its goal of preparing learners of Spanish for professional and social interactions with native speakers in the global community, both in the United States and abroad.
Spain in Perspective
SPAIN IN PERSPECTIVE is a culture and civilization textbook for beginner or intermediate level students participating in study-abroad programs in Spain.
SPAIN IN PERSPECTIVE presents a basic overview of Spanish history, and provides a general socio-political framework to help American college students understand the issues confronting Spain today. The textbook consolidates essential historical, sociological and political information in one easy-access reference manual. In addition, the book includes multiple research and observation tasks, which help students interact with their host country and see the practical dimension of the different concepts and issues explored in the each chapter.
|Days ||Time |
This Page Last Modified On: