The requirements for admission to the program are as follows:
- BA, BS or equivalent in an appropriate discipline.
- Early Childhood or Elementary Teacher certification.
- Minimum undergraduate Grade Point Average of 2.9 overall, and 3.25 in the major subject.
- TOEFL for international students
- paper-based: minimum of 550 for admission;
- internet-based iBT: minimum of 79 for admission;
- The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is another option. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 overall with no individual sub-score below 6.0.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from professors or supervisors who know the candidate well.
- Applicants must submit a writing sample of at least 1000 words in the target language (this may be a paper written for an undergraduate class).
- Documented oral proficiency in the target language (Minimum: Intermediate-Mid on the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) OR 43 points on the Versant oral proficiency test).
Admission to the MA in Childhood Foreign Language Education is competitive. Those who meet stated minimum academic requirements are not guaranteed admission, nor are those who fail to meet one or more requirements necessarily precluded from admission if they offer other appropriate strengths.